June 21, 2021


Can I add my spouse/ de facto partner to my current student visa?

You can add your spouse or de facto partner to your current student visa as a secondary applicant. But, there are few requirements that you and your partner must meet.

You must be either:

  • married,
  • have been in a de facto relationship for at least 12 months,
  • show you live with your partner and willing to register your relationship in the State or Territory government Relationship Registers

What document need to be provided to prove the relationship?

  • Marriage certificate or de facto relationship registration.
  • Documents showing the financial aspects of the relationship.
  • Documents showing any joint responsibility for the care and support of children.
  • Evidence of the social aspects of the relationship.
  • Evidence of the commitment to each other.

Book a consultation to discuss your case

Is my partner allowed to work as a secondary applicant?

The partner’s work rights will be the same as the primary applicant’s. However, partners of master’s degree (by course work or research) or Doctoral degree students are allowed to work more than 40 hours per fortnight.


Does the partner need to prove financial ability when applying as a subsequent entrant?

The partner’s visa application will be assessed based on primary applicant’s assessment level. If a primary student comes from a country that falls into assessment level 2 or 3, then the partner will need to submit financial evidence.


As of 2021, your partner will need to prove that he/she has:

At least AUD 21,041, if he/she intends to stay in Australia for a period of 12 months or more; and

Sufficient funds are available to meet course fees for any component of the primary student visa holder’s course of study which will be completed while he/ she is in Australia, up to an amount equivalent to fees for 12 months of the course of study, minus any amount already paid.


Free Student Visa Eligibility Assessment 

Where should the partner be when submitting the application?

The partner can be onshore or offshore to apply for a student visa as a subsequent entrant. However, if he/she is onshore and has “no further stay” condition attached to the visa, than application from within Australia is impossible.


How much is the visa application charge?

The current (2021) visa application charge for student visa subsequent entrant application is AUD 620.


What happens if relationship breaks down after the subsequent entrant visa is granted?

If the relationship ends after the visa is granted, the Department of Home Affairs needs to be notified immediately. The subsequent entrant’s visa might be cancelled since the spousal/ de facto relationship no longer exists. The former partner may need to depart Australia or apply for another visa if eligible.